Thursday 12 June 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Miranda Dickinson - When I Fall In Love


“What happens when your happy ever after is suddenly and painfully taken away from you?
Elsie Maynard has a whole new life she never expected to have.
From inadvertently founding a choir like no other with former 80s rock star Woody Jensen, to daring to date again, Elsie steps out into an unknown future – a future that could include gorgeous designer Olly Hogarth, a man who seems intent on winning her heart. Overcoming problems, challenges and the occasional frustration – namely overconfident Torin Stewart who seems to be everywhere – Elsie believes she is making the most of her life.
But then a heartfelt request brings her to Paris – and the last item on a very important List.
Can Elsie take the final step and lay her past to rest? Join Elsie as she battles to start again, with the help of a disastrous, newly-formed singing group and her father and sister armed with dating hopefuls.”
Before reading this, I’d only read one other book from the lovely Miranda Dickinson (Welcome to My World) and I loved it. I loved the characters, the way the story unfolded, the developments that occurred – everything! So I was pretty certain I was in for a treat with this book and I was so right. Yes, I know I’m late to reading it but that’s the joy of books; they’re ALWAYS there, there’s no time limit, etc.

The book follows the story of Elsie as she comes to terms with her past. Along the way, she meets people that change her life and help see the world in a different way, giving her a new focus and sense of hope. I don’t want to say what happened to Elsie as I don’t want to ruin the book for you (the blurb does hint at it somewhat but that’s open to interpretation), just know that it’s tough and, because of the person she is/becomes, Elsie is an inspiration.

This is so much more than your average love story and that’s, perhaps, what I love most about it. I’m not the most lovey-dovey person you’ll ever meet and whilst I do enjoy reading typical love stories, sometimes I want something more. It’s weird, there’s only ever been one book (series) that made me think love was this incredibly magical thing… I can now add this book to the (ever so short) list.

The characters in the book are great. They’re honest, believable, and true to life. As you’re reading, you can get clear images of each of them but, more than that, you’re also relating them to people you know too. Or maybe that’s just me. Who knows? As well as the storyline, it was the characters that kept me turning the pages. I wanted to know where they were going, how their friendships were developing, where they would end up. It teaches a great life story too – sometimes the people you dismiss straight away are the ones that have the most impact on your life.

In terms of structure, this book hits the spot. It’s clear, it’s easy to follow, it’s an absolute joy to read, if I’m honest. The locations are well described and bloody beautiful. I’ve never been a sucker for Paris before and now I feel like I HAVE to go, it’s more than a need. Who fancies it..?

If you’ve ever been hurt or gone through hell when it comes to your love life, you’ll know how hard it is to trust and allow yourself to get back out there. This book deals with loss beautifully – it doesn’t make it seem depressing and gloomy but rather focuses on the happiness of having shared time with that person in the first place. Read this book. Just read it. You won’t regret it, I promise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment